Friday, April 19, 2013

A New Kind of Chicken Parm...

This is not your typical Chicken Parm...
it's not fried or topped with cheese...

It's stufffed with cheese and kale instead, and cooked in the sauce, and amazing :)

This is some moist chicken people... I can't stand dry chicken. There is just something about trying to chew dry chicken, kind of like chewing sawdust.
I would imagine, I have no previous knowledge of what chewing sawdust is like.

When I first started to attempt cooking (about the same time I got married..my poor husband!) I overcooked chicken approximately 100 out of 100 times. I was so afraid to serve raw chicken that I would just cook and cook and cook, cut into it to check it, and then cook and cook some more. It was awful. Rubbery, tough, impossible to chew.

And my husband ate it.
Every. Single. Time.
He's pretty great.

I am happy to report (as is my husband) that I rarely overcook chicken anymore. No more sawdust, yeah!

On to the recipe, and some step by step directions to make this yummy new take on the classic chicken, cheese, tomato sauce recipe.

my single larger chicken breast

i pound it flat under wax paper... i dont want to wear chicken pieces

filling... homemade ricotta, spices, chopped kale

roll it all up, seam side down in pan

add some homemade (or jarred) marinara sauce

after letting it rest, slice it up...so pretty!

half portion all plated up and topped with fresh heirloom tomatoes...YUM!
Chicken Parm Redux
(Makes 2 portions)
1 large boneless, skinless chicken breast
1/2 cup chopped kale
1/2 cup -3/4 cup ricotta cheese (depending on chicken breast size)
1.5 teaspoons dried thyme
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 cup marinara sauce
1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan or italian blend cheese
1 tablespoon olive oil
*Optional slices of heirloom tomatoes to garnish

Preheat oven to 375 degrees
Pound chicken breast under wax paper until thin, trim up to make one long rectangle
Mix herbs with ricotta cheese and spread in center of chicken, leaving edges free
Sprinkle chopped kale on top of cheese
Roll up chicken, place seam side down in baking dish
Pour marinara sauce around chicken and pour olive oil on top of chicken
Bake 13-16 minutes until chicken is no longer pink, juices run clear, and chicken is moist
Remove from oven, remove chicken to rest on clean cutting board
Return pan with marinara to oven and cook for the 3 minutes your chicken rests
Slice chicken into rounds, admire how pretty it looks

Plate sauce, chicken rounds on top, add more tomato sauce, grated cheese and heirloom tomatoes on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment