Friday, September 13, 2013

Potato Cakes with Feta Dressing





I have learned a very life lesson.... I should not be left alone for 2 weeks with the kids... I gained 6 pounds in 12 days?! Who does that?

I would make the kids dinner but I needed to do a million other things so I would wait to eat until way late at night, which is a big no no, and of course I had to have dessert...at all times of the day :) I am used to cooking enough food for the 4 of us plus enough to have leftovers the next day...minus a person eating 2 of those portions equals a woman right here who eats like a full grown trucker :/

I've slowly started getting back in the kitchen now that I am adjusting to our new life routine...i.e. the start of school, carpools, moms meetings at church, events, classes, etc... it took me a while to figure out a new routine, but I'm on the way :)

I really have been trying to be mindful of using everything I have in my home and not just popping out to the store for an ingredient or two. I do not normally use regular white potatoes, they are not the nutritional star that sweet potatoes or yams are, but I had one lonely one and I wanted to use it.

Hello lovely potato cake...YUM!

100% 'Real' Food - all real, whole ingredients. I read labels like textbooks, so check yours to make sure your cheese is just cheese and no fillers or preservatives, same with your yogurt. I always use organic eggs and dairy products and fruits/veggies on the dirty dozen list. I want to make my meals as wholesome and nutritious as I can without having to rely on preservatives, fillers or junk. I save those things for when I hide in my closet at midnight sneaking desserts ;)

Ingredients
1 large russet potato, peeled
1 small sweet onion, peeled
1/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1 large egg, beaten
2 tablespoons feta cheese, crumbled
2 tablespoons scallions, roughly chopped
1 tsp granulated garlic
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp dried rosemary

Using a food processor's shredding disc, or a box grater, grate the potato and onion directly into a clean kitchen towel or cheesecloth. Squeeze out liquid, set aside.

In large bowl combine spices and flour


Add egg, feta and scallions and mix until an almost batter like consistency


Squeeze potato and onion mixture again over the sink to remove remaining moisture and add to egg/flour/spice mixture


Refrigerate for approximately 5 minutes, or the time it takes to heat a small cast iron pan over medium high heat with oil until shimmering. You can use a different heavy pan, but cast iron is 100% the best option for this and produces the absolute best results.

Preheat oven to 220 degrees F

When oil is hot, add half of the potato mixture and use the back of a wooden spoon to spread out mixture the diameter of a pan, about a 5-6 inch circle.



Cook about 4-5 minutes or until the potato mixture is set and golden brown on the bottom. Carefully flip and cook on second side until golden brown about 4 more minutes. Transfer to oven, add more oil if necessary and wait until it is back to shimmering. Add remaining  potato mixture, spread and cook on both sides. Remove from pan, let sit 3-4 minutes.

While potato is cooling, mix up feta dressing/dip in a magic bullet, blender or small food processor

Feta Dip (makes about 1/2 cup)

1/2 cup feta cheese
1/2 cup plain greek yogurt
1 tsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1 tablespoon scallions

Process all together and serve.

These are great for any meal! You can top with an egg for breakfast, some pulled pork or barbecue chicken for lunch or dinner, cut into wedges for a light lunch with a salad or as a side dish. Hot or cold, these are Fabulous!!

**Note, to reheat do NOT use the microwave - they will be a soggy mess :( Use the oven set to 350, and bake on a baking sheet about 7-10 minutes or until hot. **


Look at these babies!!!

Crisp and golden on the outside but fluffy and moist on the inside! YUM YUM YUM!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment